Working in offline mode

This whole app is just a mess, Iā€™m over it. Anyone have any suggestions for Postman alternatives w/ similar features?

1 Like

Seriously, how hard is it to have a locally cached copy of all workspaces to load if there is no internet connection?

Outlook have done it for decadesā€¦ #justsaying

Please fix this before you lose a lot more users

3 Likes

This is not a specific account issue. It is a general issue for customers who for security reasons are not online with the internet and are not allowed to expose their test data.

2 Likes

I have been facing the exact same issue. Luckily I was able to switch to scratch pad more. But I lost all the saved data under my workspace. Its weird that an upgrade restricts the usage.

3 Likes

I have no idea how Postman allowed a problem like this into an otherwise great tool.

Why I canā€™t I just store all of my data locally, like Git, then synchronize when I have a connection, like Git. The bizarre thing is Postman has most of this functionality in the current version including handling conflicts so why enforce such a limitation?

Working offline is not a new concept or even an edge case, it is legitimate thing that happens to many developers and Postman becomes completely useless when the connection is lost. Yes, I could use scratch pad but whats the point? I get to do a bunch of work there then go through the exercise of exporting it and importing it back to my workspace?

3 Likes

Unable to load data as youā€™re offline

Your data may not be upto date until youā€™re back online

:frowning:

Canā€™t use postman without good internet. Very frustrating now

1 Like

So my employer just opted not to use postman at all, ever, for any reason, because this is SO invasive. A tool that forces users to upload proprietary information to outside servers is entirely unacceptable for many industries.

3 Likes

This is incredibly frustrating.

I have several workspaces that I share with my team.

From time to time I work while taking the train and usually thereā€™s wifi, so everything works fine. Occasionally the wifi is not working and now I cannot access any of my workspaces. Of course I can use the scratch pad as suggested to have a ā€œsingle offline workspaceā€ - but none of the requests from my shared workspaces are available.

So, unless I have memorized or exported the requests that I need to make before the unexpected wifi outage there is no way for me to use them. Iā€™d also have to remind myself to keep them up-to-date by exporting them after every change by any of the team members.

Iā€™m quite concerned that the Postman team claims to not understand this problem.

3 Likes

Hi, is this still a thing in version 9? should I keep working with v7.36.5

1 Like

Downgraded to v7 today. Always online is not feasible for me, because of all the reason already mentioned here.

1 Like

Iā€™ll say what nobody here has said in the right words: Postman to now online-only.

It makes zero sense to be this way. I was ā€œcoolā€ with the automatic cloud sync that I didnā€™t sign up for but thatā€™s okay, I choose to trust that Postman is securely storing my data. But if you wonā€™t allow me to work offline with my data, then we have a real problem.

Just now I went to Postman and it kept saying I was offline, and my internet was fine. I can only imagine what happens if Postman servers are down, then nobody can work? I think there are better ways to handle this cloud sync thing, and not make your workspaces ā€œonline onlyā€. I donā€™t know whatā€™s the point, anyway everyday I open Postman and there are a couple of sync conflicts that I need to resolve. If itā€™s already online only, how come there are conflicts?

Really, Postman should think about rolling back this new online-only mode. Scratchpad mode is not the solution.

1 Like

I stopped using Postman for a year becauseof this bad decision they made. Is it still not fixed? (Scratchpad mode is usless like many others have mentioned). Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to postman please? I need to be able to work offline and still sync it. Its not ā€œsomeā€ people having this issue is pretty much 90% of your users.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Cannot access my collections via the client or the website. Using Max OS X.

How can I access my data again? How do I ensure I donā€™t get into this situation again?

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We are experiencing some downtime and our Engineering team is working quickly to get everything back up and running. We will keep you posted as soon as we have the systems running as expected.

Appreciate your patience.

@omnyfy.test.one Thank you for your patience!

Just wanted to update you that the reported issue has been mitigated by our engineering team and is actively being monitored.

1 Like

@Kurmavatar , is there any plan to build a offline backup to online sync as work comes to a standstill if you have server side issue?

Unfortunately, no at the moment. From the V8 version of the application, we will need an active internet connection to access collections or entities that are linked to your account to keep it synced. But to help users who would want to use the app offline, we have a scratchpad feature that allows you to work so. You can find it by going to the settings:

You will, however, have to explicitly export your data periodically to backup your work and/or in the event you want to import your collections outside of scratchpad and for them to sync to the cloud.

We have had users request the older way of this function and below is the GitHub thread where you can track the same publicly:

You donā€™t know what you are talking about. The offline only requirement is here to stay.

Hello,
just bumping this thread. Recently I often couldnā€™t work because Postman didnā€™t connect to your servers.

As others have pointed out, Scratch pad is not an alternative.
That would mean always exporting the workspace when I end, which is not viable option as sometimes I just do one minor change and it would be tedious to always export.

What about this process:

• when you are working in a workspace, postman sync changes with the cloud AND at the same time with a state in the local filesystem.
  • if Postman cannot sync collections for some reason, you are able to load last known version from the filesystem and work on that, syncing with filesystem only.
  • when Postman can sync with the cloud again, you just compare timestamps and see what collection is more up to date - in this case it is locally stored one, so you just sync local state with the cloud.

Another easier half-way solution could be if we could always have collections up to date in the filesystem, without the need of manual export, and load them to scratch pad if your servers are down.

Thank you for considering the alternative to current internet-required operation mode.

Have a nice day and thanks for all your work.