Postman stopped supporting Scratch Pad. What next?

As you all know starting from Postman v10 we can’t anymore use Collections/Environments stuff etc. Postman introduced a Lightweight client, but as I see it, it is just to do not close the Postman entirely in one step for offline users.
Im pretty sure soon in next steps they will deprecate this client as well.

So whats next for offline users? I created this account on Postman community just to share with you one of the alternatives I migrated today once I noticed scratchpad is gone.

Today I started using Milkman
Git: GitHub - warmuuh/milkman: An Extensible Request/Response Workbench

Pretty easy installation, and I like that you can quickly import collections from Postman (In case you saved a dump before it was deprecated for offline users)

So, for me as a Mac user I need just 2 commands

brew install --cask milkman

to install Milkman and

sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /opt/homebrew/Caskroom/milkman/5.6.0

to grant execution permissions (installation path can be different - you can allways use brew info milkman to get the installation path)

So, once you get it and configured Proxy, you are ready to fly :slight_smile:

Good luck guys,

and Postman Team, I understand that it is all about money, but this amount of trust and loyalty you exchanging for it may not worth it.

3 Likes

Hey @e.mukhamadiarov :wave:

Collections, Environments and all the other features that you have been using are still available in Postman. However, you are required to sign in to use those features. It’s a Free account, by signing in to create this post, you now have one.

With that account, you can now Migrate all of you Scratch Pad data into a Postman Workspace and continue using the platform for Free. Making use of all the features on the Postman Platform, the new VSCode extension (If this is the IDE you use), the Postman CLI, the Postman API and a large number of other features, for Free.

Alternatively, you can make use of the Lightweight API Client, which you don’t need to sign in too and you can also Export your data from using the ⚙️ > Settings > Data > Export option.

You can read more about the new Lightweight API Client on the announcement blog, which also contains a list of FAQs that cover the questions around this change that have been raised by users.

For Additional Security Related Questions:

This also provides a link to our Security and Trust Portal where you can request to download the latest SOC 2 report, SOC 3 report, CSA STAR and Security Features Report documents.

Here is the link to the Security and Trust FAQs which provides some more granular information.

In terms of the safe practices to follow with your data and credentials when using your Postman account:

• Be careful to avoid accidental data exposure when making a Postman element public, such as workspaces, collections, and environments.
  • We strongly recommend you avoid storing sensitive data anywhere except within Postman environments. Storing variable values only in the Current value field, will ensure that the data is never sync’d.
  • You should also use environment variables with a secret type to store sensitive data and credentials, including API keys and access tokens.
  • Learn more by reading our shared responsibility model.

If you have any further questions, you can reach out to us on migrate@postman.com.