Enter authorization token to sign into Postman

I am trying to sign into Postman using the “Enter authorization token” method:

Simple question: how can I obtain the token to paste into the field marked “Paste token here”?

I have read post 34992 which does not answer the question. My question is how do I get an authorization token to paste in that box, not how I fix the issue with the sign-in-via-browser option not working.

Hey @14geronimo :wave:

Welcome back to the Postman Community! :postman:

You get that from a browser window, if the browser hasn’t opened up automatically you can use either of the unlined methods in the centre of your image, you either open in manually or copy and paste the URL into a browser.

Once you sign in through the browser window, by entering your details, it should redirect back to the desktop app. If it doesn’t, you can use select the authorization token option which will display your token.

This can then be used back in the desktop app to login.

@danny-dainton Thanks for the reply and I’m terribly sorry but I still don’t get it. Let me explain the situation, and if you could provide explicit step-by-step instructions I would really appreciate please.

I have a VM (let’s call it VM1) with the Postman desktop client app installed. I click Sign In in the app, which presents me with the window and open the browser window. This VM is on a network that doesn’t behave nicely with Cloudflare, and therefore I don’t even get to the login page. Nothing I can do on VM1, whether from the client app or from a browser lets me access the Postman login page. So I copy the URL from the browser window, close the browser window, and click on “Enter auth token” on the client app window. I’m leave things there with the modal window open with the empty auth token field.

With that URL in the clipboard, I go to another VM (let’s call it VM2), open a private tab in a browser in that VM, and paste that URL. The VM is on a friendly network which let the URL redirect to the login page. I enter my creds, and the browser page redirects to my logged-in Postman in-browser session.

I’ve looked everywhere in the menus in the Postman in-browser session on VM2, I couldn’t find anywhere anything resembling a token, or a URL of the type “postman://auth/…” as you indicate. I’m looking for a way there to copy the token from VM2 so I can go back to VM1 and paste it there in the modal window I’ve left open. What steps can I take to get this token in my situation?

Hopefully my reply on Oct 4 above provides better clarity on how I’m trying to use this auth method. Does anyone has instructions on how to use this auth token sign-in?

@14geronimo what you are attempting to acheive would likely not work.

The postman instance in VM1 must be able to access the internet to be able to log you in.

Hypothetically assuming, you get the auth-token somehow and paste it into VM1’s Postman’s instance. The Postman app would then try to connect to the postman’s servers to validate the token, that would likely fail for you if Postman isn’t able to reach its servers.

You can give the following steps a try:

The above would only work, if the handover from Postman app in VM1 to browser did not reach postman’s servers at all, if it did, the URL would not be valid anymore to use anywhere else.

Again, this is very hackish and I suggest you check VM1’s network to fix that instead.

I see what you’re saying. The connection from VM1 is blocking some, not all the under-the-hood requests. Specifically it can see identity.getpostman.com (among others) and it’s blocking the CAPTCHA challenge to challenges.cloudflare.com).

As a result, when I copy the URL (from the link, not the browser address bar), I get the following error on VM2 as you explain above: it’s not valid anymore as it’s been invoked on VM1 even if it couldn’t complete the journey.

Sign-in link already used. Browser-based sign-in links can only be used once. Try signing in again.
Request Trace: cd29fdc5daf7bc68fd09a153943e9e71

Bottom line, I agree, I don’t think this method will work in my case, the only way forward is for me to ask my company to open the network as required by the Postman login sequence which, looking at the logs I get at my end, requires TCP 443 outbound to all these domains:

analytics.getpostman.com
app.launchdarkly.com
assets.getpostman.com
bam.nr-data.net
bi.pst.tech
challenges.cloudflare.com
clientstream.launchdarkly.com
events.getpostman.com
events.gw.postman.com
events.launchdarkly.com
fonts.googleapis.com
fonts.gstatic.com
go.postman.co
god.postman.co
iapub.postman.co
id.gw.postman.com
identity.getpostman.com
identity.postman.co
identity.postman.com
js-agent.newrelic.com
o1224273.ingest.sentry.io
postman.com
ra.gw.postman.co
res.cloudinary.com
static.cloudflareinsights.com
static.getpostman.com
web.postman.co

Thank you for the help, this is very clear now.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.