I’ve been engaged with a project to see how we can enable the editing, version control and general management of Postman scripts, requests and responses on the local file system, instead of through the Postman app.
The idea behind this is to allow for things like:
- Being able to write code in your chosen editor
- Ability to apply your own lint rules
- Using packages from npm you aren’t otherwise able to include
- Working from files/folders on your machine, version controlling them in the same way as the rest of your API code
I’ve created a CLI which allows you to get started with this. All you need is:
- A Postman API key
- Node version 10.12 or later
You can find the README and instructions for install here:
We’ve been testing this CLI in a few different places, and would be really keen to hear what the community makes of it. I’m welcoming all bugs, feedback and comments either here or in the Issues tab of the repo.
If you’re using Postman in a team setting - feel free to drop me a message - I’d be happy to give your team a demo/walkthrough of the capability.