Is it possible to move existing collections into a folder?

Hi
I have collections imported into my Postman. Now I have created a new Collection and created a folder under it. I now would want to move the existing collection into this newly created folder. Is that even possible in Postman?

Thanks
Sowji

2 Likes

@kns.gogreen you should be able to drag and drop the collections into folders.

3 Likes

So I have to pull each request from the old collection into the newly created folder that I want…but there is no way I can move them at once or import them into a folder. Correct?

1 Like

Hey @kns.gogreen! At the moment you’ll need to move requests one by one. It’s a bit tedious, but if you have dozens or perhaps hundreds of requests you’d like to move in bulk, another option would be to export both collections as json and copy/paste the desired section of requests into the appropriate space. You would then import the collection back into Postman (“as a copy” at first, to make sure everything is good to go).

We do have an open github feature request for multi-select, which you can +1 and subscribe to get updates on development.

5 Likes

but in this gif, only individual requests are being dragged and dropped, not a collection itself. That is what OP asks, to move existing collection into another folder.

1 Like

this issue is open since 2015

Still not able to move a collection (which itself has folders an request) to another folder in 2020

2 Likes
  1. Answer appears to still be negative.
1 Like

Come on guys!
This is important feature.
Today I spend like an hour dragging like idiot request by request.
Just implement drag and drop functionality for folders. Should not be that hard.

Best Regards,
Dido

1 Like

Postman is a really reusable design so you have real flexibility if you want to play around with it .

You can export postman collection as JSON and then edit it.

The collection is available as “item” property of the collection json:

you can enclose the array inside item as :

{

"info": {

"_postman_id": "96df7bcf-0074-4b44-8148-0e9ee910b7f4",

"name": "test",

"schema": "https://schema.getpostman.com/json/collection/v2.1.0/collection.json"

},

"item": [

{

"name": "MainFolder",

"item": [

{},

{}

]

}

],

"event": [

{

"listen": "prerequest",

"script": {

"type": "text/javascript",

"exec": [

""

]

}

},

{

"listen": "test",

"script": {

"type": "text/javascript",

"exec": [

""

]

}

}

],

"variable": [

{

"key": "test",

"value": "5"

}

]

}

Now reimport this collection:

use visual studio code:

An example:

i am using visual studio , i am cutting the item list first and then adding “name” and “items” properties and then pasting the content back

ezgif.com-gif-maker

4 Likes

Ok that is actually useful :slight_smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

Please havea a look :slight_smile:

i created a collection that can do this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have been looking for something like this myself @praveendvd! I made this public workspace for a talk I gave at a conference recently, and wanted to move all of the individual collections into one overarching collection in a different workspace. So this may be just what I need!

As always, thanks for everything you contribute Praveen!

1 Like

hi sean already created a collection to do this as @danny-dainton passed it to you i guess. :star_struck:

But here you go : :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

https://www.getpostman.com/collections/533e784269c2583706d6

Just import collection using this liink it will have all uyour collection under a parent collection

You can create it yourself using :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

https://www.postman.com/praveendvd-public/workspace/postman-tricks-and-tips/collection/8296678-26c11f51-1c76-491a-817b-482690641073?ctx=documentation

just goto to request inside the “run this in collection runner folder” goto the request under it edit the API key , and the collection list with the UUIDs of the collection you want

THen just run the folder in collection run , and manually send the download request and goto visualize

1 Like

ezgif.com-gif-maker

1 Like

I was just googling on how to move a collection inside another collection since I’m trying to organize my collection. I can’t believe this feature is not done yet !!!

Thanks! This helped me a lot!
Now everything looks clean and tidy :smiley:

You don’t need anymore to do the last answer procedure. Just create the new collection or folder, go to the old collection, select All requests inside it with Mouse Click on first element, then [SHIFT]+MouseClick in the last element, drag and drop to the new collection or folder.

I just made a test to reorganize my collections and worked very well.

1 Like