I lost all my collections while upgrading the postman version

Hi Team,

I lost all my collections while upgrading the postman. I do not have an account with the postman and I though its just an update, it should not bother much. However, I made an extra copy of Indexdb-folder of the old version just incase. I am trying to import those files but I am not able to. I tried following these steps in the link - https://support.getpostman.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035071313-How-to-recover-my-data-, but dint help much. Could you please help me out on this.

Thanks!!

Hey @lpmaddula90 – sorry to hear that you’re having trouble here. We’ll do our best to help.

It looks like you created an account today. My assumption is that you were working in the app without a registered account (totally fine) with all your data being stored locally. When you sign in to an account, your local data may be overwritten by the information that’s associated with the account you’re signing in with – the new account in your case.

The help center article you linked outlines how you can go about attempting to restore your local data. I’m happy to try to restore the same data if you open a support ticket and provide those IndexedDB files.

You can open a ticket with us via the page below

Hey Chris, thanks for responding. I have opened ticket#47148 on this regard. Please let me know what has to be done next as a part of this. Thanks!!

I have just lost all my collections too, PLEASE, could you add a warning before deleting users data?? You have the same bug for years, this is sooo awful behaviour…

1 Like

Same here. Upgraded Mac OS this morning. When I opened PM, everything I did yesterday is gone - collection is there, but empty. The environment I set up is completely gone. Any way to recover this?

Logout then log back in. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @jeffl98 - I was on the verge of :open_mouth:

I have an account and was logged in when I updated the Postman version. There was no indication that I might lose data, so I didn’t think to export anything. Now every collection and environment I’ve created in the past few months is gone and it’s been overwritten in local storage. I can’t get anything back.

Hey @katekacalek

Are you able to see the Collections and Environments on the Web app?

https://go.postman.co

@danny-dainton, no, the data isn’t there either. I think at some point the automatic sync turned off.

I opened the app on my computer and again, ALL of my collections are gone. I remember this happened a few years ago. Now again. I don’t have time for this. I tried clicking on this link, https://support.getpostman.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035071313-How-to-recover-my-data-, but that is a dead link. I hear Visual Studio Code is better for api calls now. I’ll try that. I bet they won’t delete my collections every once in a while.

Hi Jeffrey!

I’m sorry you are having trouble again. It would appear that link is missing some of the URL which would explain why it appears dead.

Have you tried looking here?

I have also seen that logging out and back in can sometimes fix this.

Let me know if there is anything I can to do help! :smile:

A warning is definetly required during upgrades. Some of us work with high security clients where we are not allowed to sign in on postman. For us, loosing all the hardwork, just because of upgrade is unacceptable.
I was shocked to find an empty postman with no collections, environments or history data after restarting postman today after upgrade last week.
Thankfully, I was able to restore the data from the backup file, by following this answer - Where are Postman collections saved? - Stack Overflow

1 Like