How do I install the Postman Desktop Agent on Linux Ubuntu?
I’ve downloaded the postman-agent-0.4.20-linux-x64.tar.gz file from the website.
What do I do with it now?
I’ve searched high and low for instruction on how to install it from the .tar file but haven’t been able to find anything.
Your question may already have an answer on the Postman Community Forum. Please search for related topics to avoid duplication.
Please read through these guidelines before creating a new topic.
Here’s some information to include when creating your question:
- Descriptive Title: Write a title that summarizes the specific problem, this shouldn’t be the same as the full question.
- Introduce The Question: Explain how you encountered the problem you’re trying to solve and the steps you’ve taken to resolve the issue.
- Additional Data: Include additional data that might help someone reproduce your issue - for example, code, collections, data dumps, console errors, screenshots or gifs. Ensure all code snippets are placed within a code block.
- Platform Details: Which Postman App, Web Platform, and Operating System version you are using. You can see this in under Settings → About.
- Tags: Add up to 5 tags so people can search for answers to similar questions.
Do NOT include sensitive information like auth tokens or passwords.
Hi @aviation-geologist13. Welcome to the Postman Community!
You can use the command tar -xvzf file.tar.gz to extract on the command line. First, navigate to the folder where the downloaded zipped file is and run the command tar -xvzf postman-agent-0.4.20-linux-x64.tar.gz. ensure the name of the file you type on the CLI is correct. This should extract the Desktop Agent Application, and you should be able to run it just by clicking on the logo.
Alternatively, you can right-click on that file and use the “Open with Archive Manager” option to extract it.
Hey there, thanks for the reply and the welcome.
I’ve unpacked it, it’s currently in my downloads folder. Is there a location I can move it to store it permanently, rather than just leave it in downloads.
When I launch it it says ‘Disconnected’, ‘Listening on port 10533’. How do I connect it to the web app? Do I need change the port?
Web app still shows the exclamation on !Desktop Agent. Says ‘Desktop Agent unavailable’, ‘Make sure the desktop agent is installed and check the toolbar to see if it’s running.’
I’m using Brave browser.
Sorry for all the questions. The documentation seems poor for the agent.
I turned off brave shields for web.postman.co and it’s working now.
I also moved Postman Agent to my home directory.
So I guess I answered my own questions .
Thank you for your assistance! .
I’m glad to hear that everything works now.