Highlight currently selected environment optically

Hi,

I am pretty new to using environments for separating PROD and DEV requests. Is there a way to optically highlight the currently selected environment on top of spotting the selected value in the environment dropdown? I want to prevent myself from firing requests into the wrong environment.

Gerhard

Hi @gerhard.schraml

Welcome to the community :wave:

Clicking on “Quick look” next to your environment dropdown helps you identify values that are being sent across.

Based on your use-case, I would recommend creating two environments one named “Prod” and other “Dev” to distinguish them clearly. Refer to this resource here to know more : )

Hi Raj,

thanks for your response. I already did exactly what you suggested - using two environments called “Prod” and “Dev”. My question is about user experience, not functionality. How can I clearly indicate by optical means a difference between the two environments - e.g. colored environment indicators in red and green or similiar, to prevent myself from accidentally sending requests to “Prod” environment when I should have sent it only to “Dev” environment.

See my “mockups” - not so crude, but with a similar warning effect.

KR,
Gerhard

1 Like

@gerhard.schraml Yes, I understand this better now! Although we do not have this effect, we do have something similar to this. When you hover over the defined variables - there is an error message along with the color to display the difference.

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 7.11.18 PM Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 7.11.34 PM

Although, I totally agree your mentioned way makes it way easier to identify hence - would recommend you to raise the feature request on our Github Page from this link here. GitHub is the forum where our team picks up the issue and provide the resolution at earliest, that is how we keep track of the bugs/ feature requests for the application :slight_smile:

OK, here’s the feature request:

https://github.com/postmanlabs/postman-app-support/issues/8260

The hover feature is cool, thank’s for that, I didn’t know it. But it does not solve my problem, because again I’d have to manually hover over the variable.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

That looks great! Our team has already replied on the request.

To keep the discussion continuing on the main thread, will close this out from here :slight_smile:

1 Like