De-serialize stream response in memory in Test tab

Hi, I have a response that return an excel file when I press send and download but the body look like that

PK����lQ��4�������� ���_rels/.rels���N�0 ��{�*�5�@���LH�!4�$ne���ă��D ��Îq~�b��Ln,�0&K^�UY��&c}
. I want to deserialize the response.stream and get in some readable format (Json, String) and create test scenarios in Test tab. Is that possible? (I want to add in a pipeline) for that reason The solution Send and Download is not valid to me . I am trying some solution .text() ​but without luck. :frowning:

This is how excel files are stored. You need a tool that can understand and parse Excel.

Same thing as with PDFs. See below an example:

1 Like

Hi @andrea.blatter,

Welcome to the community! :clap:

@vdespa Great example to showcase :wink:

As noted by @vdespa, since this response is an excel file, its returning to the Postman client as a serialized excel file, and not particularly a data stream.

Sadly, there is no native functionality in Postman to deserialize an excel file :confused: But, as noted in the video posted above, what you are looking to do can be done, but first, you must stand up a server application that can perform the deserialization for you, and convert the excel file to a json, or string format, that which then send that response back to Postman.

While the video highlights the case with pdf files, you can certainly do the same with excel files. You will just need a library that can do that for excel files. Depending on your language of preference, you can code a up a web server to do this, and in the video’s case, its done with node js. I don’t have a library or node js module of preference for this, but with a bit of research, you can find the best library to do this for you, and get the response you are looking for.

If you’d like this deserialization functionality to be native in Postman, feel free to create a github enhancement request, or post one in the RFC section of the community here:

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Best,
Orest

Thank you so much Orest! Great tutorial :slight_smile: