Really simple problem - running first tutorial and getting 404

Im doing the postman tutorial and running the GET on https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/users
Its returning with 404 . The link works in my browser on my machine

The error happens in both the web version and the app (windows 10)

I have switched off VPN and Firewall

I am sure I am doing something stupidly obvious, but would appreciate any guidance

Many thanks

(this is what the tutorial says . I am doing this identically)

1 Like

Hi Pete, and welcome to the first step on your Postman journey :rocket:

I’ll suggest some debug steps, but one thing to check first of all (because it catches me out all the time): check that you haven’t accidentally copied any extra whitespace or linebreaks when copying/pasting the URL into the address field. You should just about be able to make out this problem in the screenshots below - in the first one, the dot indicates an extra space at the end of the URL, and in the second one, the arrow indicates a linebreak/carriage return.

(As if to prove a point, I also accidentally put a space at the start of both of those URLs - I didn’t intend to! - which meant I was seeing strange results when writing this out for you)

I’ve confirmed that the typicode site will give a 404 in both of those situations, so hopefully it’s as straightforward as that!

If you need to debug further, if you look in the very bottom-left of the Postman interface you will see a “Console” link. This will be a lifesaver throughout your time with Postman; you can make messages appear here when debugging (by using console.log statements), but also whenever you press Send, it will automatically display an entry which contains the full details (headers/body information) about the request you made, and the response that you got.

If you paste a full dump of that in here, we should be able to get to the bottom of the mystery - as you say, this should be as straightforward as it gets, fingers crossed!

:point_up: Example of request/response header information in console

3 Likes

Yes that was it! white space at the end

thank you so much

2 Likes

Phew! Now, if you’re like me, enjoy years and years of making that same mistake over and over again :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

haha me too, I have been coding since the ZX Spectrum :rofl:

1 Like