Postmand and GraphQL questions

I am using PM V10.22.2 which is latest

Q1. GraphQL queries do not show in Postman console, is there a way to change this?

Q2. We are looking at moving to GraphQL, which means porting our REST HTTP collection into GraphQL

It looks like we could do this 2 ways

1. Make them as GraphQL calls
  2. Make them as REST HTTP calls, using the GraphQL body option

I have tested both and they work fine.

The challenge I believe is our Auth call is going to be a REST HTTP call and we cannot include this request in the same collection as a series of GraphQL based calls

We need to run these in github action so having the auth call in the collection is required (I believe, as that is how we currently run them)

Q3. Are there any known issues using newman to run a collection of GraphQL calls inside github actions, would also be doing the same in Octopus ? (quick google leads me to believe not, confirmation from someone doing this would be good). We have all of this working with a standard REST collection at the moment

We are only just in the infancy so this, so any answers or general feedback about how people did this and found it would be much appreciated.

Thanks heaps

Hey @cryosat-operator-620 :wave:

Welcome to the Postman Community! :postman:

Currently, there are a few areas with GraphQL which don’t function the same as the HTTP calls. The console logging of the network messages and having these GraphQL requests inside a HTTP based Collection.

With that in mind, if you have tested a HTTP + GraphQL based solution and that’s working for you - I would go with that and bring in that Auth call in the same Collection. This is also going to be currently the only way to run those GraphQL calls in a pipeline with Newman or the Postman CLI.

I’ve never used Octopus so I couldn’t tell you if that works but if it follows the same workflows as other similar tools, it should work.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply, really validates what we found and gives us a good direction to forward in.

Is there Postman GraphQL updates we can follow anywhere ?

1 Like

Hey @cryosat-operator-620!

I also wanted to say hello. I recently joined Postman and my team is responsible for API client, which includes protocols like GraphQL.

We appreciated the feedback, and just wanted to share that we do plan to deepen support for protocols like GraphQL in Postman, particularly with the area you identified around collection running.

As far as continued updates, definitely follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/getpostman (X?) and I plan for us to be more active with the development community on GitHub (GitHub - postmanlabs/postman-app-support: Postman is an API platform for building and using APIs. Postman simplifies each step of the API lifecycle and streamlines collaboration so you can create better APIs—faster.) and so that would be a good place to follow as well.

Finally, receiving feedback like this helps us improve, so if you would have more of it, nothing would delight me more than for you to say hello at dustin.schau@postman.com and I’d love to introduce you to a member of the team who built the GraphQL protocol (Tim Hall) for how we could keep improving it!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey, thanks heaps for your reply.

I will definitely reach out to you sometime next week :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.