POST into Postman to check/test an API payload

Hi,

I want an easy way for the BAs in my team to POST a json payload into Postman to examine the payload body to either write swagger docs or troubleshoot. We currently use a web application called PipeDream for this task. when you log into Pipedream you are given a URL and a security key you can then post information to, which allows you to effortlessly access and then examine the payload that was just sent. the platform stores all your previous payloads. I would also like the option of modifying the response back to the originating platform to further test different kinds error (for example, “500 - Duplicate found” vs “500 - variable1 has illegal parameters”)

looking through the Postman documentation it looks like the only way to do this is to create your own API endpoint on your localhost or similar, then plug that into Postman. this is going to be a bit beyond what our BAs are capable of.

is there an easy way to do this in Postman?

Postman is a Test and DEV tool.

Postman should be able to generate the tests you’ve provided as examples. 500 errors, etc.

It’s not really designed for generating and keeping logs of responses.

I can recommend two options.

1. Run the tests using Newman and a Continuous Integration tool. This usually generates a HTML report which gets saved back into the Continuous Integration tool. How many reports this will keep will be down the the tool. They don’t usually keep reports for ever, but that will be on a tool by tool basis. Azure Dev Ops and Jenkins are two example CI tools.

2. Create a database with an API to store the results. This can be as basic or complex as you need. On face value, I would have though a single table would suffice. If you have Microsoft solutions available, consider using those. For example, saving the results to a SharePoint list. (SharePoint has an API that you can use for this purpose). I would also consider something like Azure Application Insights, as that is specifically for logging purposes and has a bunch of reports that you can configure to allow you to see things like tests over time, etc.