We are just getting started with documenting and testing our API. We decided to rely heavily on Postman, but so far I am not happy with the development workflow. I’m sure I’m doing something that can be simplified, so please let me know what that is.
- We keep Postman tests in Git, exported as JSON. We import this into the Postman GUI to work on it.
- For a new service, we create a spec in Swagger/OpenAPI 3. We decided to use this documentation standard because it offers interoperability with various other technologies.
- We import the spec into Postman. This doesn’t really buy us more than a starting point for Postman tests.
- We add the imported/new tests to our existing Postman collection through the Postman GUI.
- We work on the tests as needed.
- We export from the Postman GUI back to the JSON document, which is tracked in Git. This is not straight-forward, since the GUI seems to touch a lot more than just the tests that were added or edited.