Initial experience: unresponsive, slow and no proper search

So I’ve been fiddling with Postman for the last hours or so, just to find a replacement for my well trusted Chrome Network Tab and I’ve some observations to make.

Right off the bat I noticed that Postman is a huge resource hog; my CPU fan constantly spins, and the CPU seems to spike at 50-60% while hardly anything is happening.

Next I tried the Postman Interceptor to capture some traffic from Chrome. I noticed that the responses weren’t captured, only the requests. Fair enough. I probably need a proxy.

So I used the proxy in conjunction with the Interceptor and sure enough, responses were captured. Hurray! However I found no way searching through all responses. I could click a request and observe its response, but I didn’t find an option to search for a string in all responses. This is a big let down, since it’s very hard to find a specific thing in a sea of requests and responses.

Also the moment that you save the results of a Proxy Debug session into a collection (the domain grouping is nice!), the responses were nowhere to be found anymore. Why? I just see an astronaut with the message “Click Send to get a Response”. No, I don’t want to resend the request, I want to be able to search my earlier received responses. I have no idea on how to make that happen.

And finally the UI responsiveness: it’s horrible. When clicking a request in the Proxy debug session tab, I sometimes need to wait for several seconds before I even see the response. I don’t know what it is that the JSON/HTML parser seems to be doing, but it’s really CPU intensive.

Yes I have an old laptop (i7 2014), but this isn’t a high-end game I’m trying to run. It’s basic network traffic and some parsing. Why is it all running so slow?

Unless I’m doing something wrong here (I hope!), I’ll just stick to my trusted (and blazingly fast) Chrome network tab for now.

Thank you so much for this feedback :man_bowing:

This is a valid feedback. I will add this in our upcoming release.

Also the moment that you save the results of a Proxy Debug session into a collection (the domain grouping is nice!), the responses were nowhere to be found anymore. Why? I just see an astronaut with the message “Click Send to get a Response”.

You see saved responses as examples in generated collection. Just exapnd the request from the sidebar and you will see it.

About the responsiveness, we are actively working on improving both CPU and RAM consumption.

Thanks for your reply! And indeed, in the end I did find the responses as well. Perhaps it is a bit telling that this wasn’t immediately clear for a new user (or perhaps it’s me having no patience ;))

I did notice that the responsiveness is a bit better when double clicking a request. But when previewing all the requests, it’s terrible. I’ve even had a few hard crashes whilst doing that. So I’m pretty sure, something is not good in that parser. Hope you’ll be able to work it out!

Thanks a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.