Help debugging a failed GraphQL autofetch

My question:

I am working with a GraphQL API in Postman. When I attempt to auto-fetch the schema, it gives the the “Could not auto-fetch” warning. But when I check the Postman Console (CTRL+ALT+C) and check the request in the logs, it was successful and I can’t see anything unusual in the response. I have worked with other GraphQL API’s in Postman, which haven’t had this issue, and the response structure etc. doesn’t look any different from them.

Details (like screenshots):

How I found the problem:

Auto-query runs in background, but it’s reproducible by hitting the refresh button.

I’ve already tried:

Comparing the responses between an API where auto-query works and the API where auto-query doesn’t work, and also comparing the headers, for anything that might be causing this issue.

Looking at main.log, renderer-console.log and renderer-requester.log in the Postman logs folder. But I couldn’t find anything helpful.

Is there anywhere I can look for mode detailed logging on why this response isn’t being processed correctly for auto-fetch? When I look at the response in the Console (or just send an introspection query manually) it looks absolutely fine.

Seems there’s a similar issue here with no resolutions or suggestions.

Hi @adam9 !

The behavior you’re experiencing with GraphQL schema auto-fetch in Postman is odd, especially if you’ve verified the introspection query response and it seems accurate. Here are some steps and considerations to help diagnose the problem:

  1. Introspection Query: Manually send a GraphQL introspection query to your endpoint. Ensure the response is well-formed and comparable to other APIs where auto-fetch works. This helps verify that the issue isn’t from the API’s end.
  2. Headers & Body:
  • Ensure that necessary headers (like Authorization or Content-Type) are correctly set when fetching the schema.
  • Ensure the request body for the introspection is correctly formed. Sometimes, subtle differences can lead to failures in processing.
  1. Endpoint Configuration: Double-check if there are any configurations, middlewares, or settings at the API endpoint that might be blocking or altering the introspection request.
  2. Update Postman: If you haven’t done so recently, make sure your Postman app is updated to the latest version. Sometimes, bugs or issues are addressed in newer versions.
  3. Extended Logging: Unfortunately, the logs you’ve mentioned (main.log, renderer-console.log, and renderer-requester.log) are the primary logs available for Postman. You’ve done well to check those. There isn’t a more detailed internal log for GraphQL operations in Postman, as far as I am aware.
  4. Workaround: As a workaround, you could manually fetch the GraphQL schema and use it in Postman. It’s not ideal, but it ensures you have the most recent schema when working with your queries.

If after all these steps the issue persists, it might be worth raising this with Postman’s support or checking if it’s a known issue on the GitHub. Sometimes, specific edge cases or issues are already reported and might be in the process of being addressed.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Thanks @kevinc-postman. I’ll give those suggestions a go.

I had considered opening an issue on GitHub but it would be quite awkward to create a reproducible version of the issue. I’ve got some things to investigate first, though!

I’ll report back to this thread if I figure out what was the problem, since I know at least a couple other people have seen similar issues before.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.