Hang ups in some Windows apps while using Postman

This is a very strange one and I’m sure it’s not specifically Postman causing it but I’m trying to find the cause and a fix, and Postman is one trigger.

I’m running Windows 11 Pro and develop .NET software. I have desktop Postman installed.

Recently in last couple of months, whenever I open Postman and make any request to an endpoint, if I then run a build in Visual Studio or from command line with ‘dotnet build’ it will hang during the build. As soon as I close Postman, the build continues!

It’s not just builds. The application I’m working on is an ASP.NET Core app (.NET 6 web service with a React web app using REST API and SignalR) and the connections in the web app start hanging. Again, close Postman and everything is fine.

I think it’s not Postman specific, because I’ve found almost the same problem if I use Windows Sandbox. While that is running the same hang seems to occur. Close it and it clears.

If I use Postman in a browser, there isn’t a problem (so there’s a workaround).

This wasn’t happening until recently however.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and may have a clue what it is or suggestions. So far I’ve only noticed Postman desktop app and Windows Sandbox causing the issue. Maybe they are different issues causing similar symptoms, or maybe something is connected. It could be something in a Windows update even.

Hey @research-saganist-48 :wave:

Welcome to the Postman Community! :postman:

That does sound quite strange - It’s not something that I have personally seen before. :thinking:

You could take a look through our issue tracker (There’s a mixed bunch of items in here, both feature request and issues) to see if someone has mentioned is before.

Hola @danny-dainton !

We’ve been experiencing the same issue as well the past few months. I’m still testing, but Postman is definitely a trigger for my cause.

Postman for Windows
Version 10.23.8
UI version 10.23.8-ui-240226-0504
Desktop platform version 10.23.5
Architecture x64
OS platform win32 10.0.22621

Various Dev setups experiencing issue:

Windows 11 Enterprise
Version 22H2
OS build 22621.3155|
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22684.1000.0
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-11900H @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

Laptop Model: HP ZBook
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04
IDE: Rider 2023.3.3
.NET Runtime Version: 6.0.27

Laptop Model: Lenovo E15
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1255U (12 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
RAM: 40 GB
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
IDE: Rider 2023.3.3
.NET Runtime Version: 6.0.407

Laptop: Dell XPS
IDE: tried both VS2022 17.9.2 & JetBrains Rider 2023.3.3
.Net runtime version: 6.0.2

Fast build below is with Tye\Docker, 3 VS, SSMS, 4 Chrome with 22 tabs.
Slow 7 minute build is JUST Postman open.

Notice bottom left on the images that with Postman open the CPU\HDD usages are WAY lower.

Hi @mmontandon. I am not sure what the issue could be here. I personally have not experienced this before. I will recommend reaching out to Postman Support on help@postman.com for further assistance.

1 Like

@research-saganist-48 Workarounds so far have been to use the browser based version of Postman: https://go.postman.co or the Canary desktop version: Postman Canary: For Mac, Windows, & Linux

I believe this started happening when I upgraded my Win 10 21H2 to Win 10 22H2 in order to hopefully get some new functionality in Windows Sandbox (Persistent restarts). I then completely reinstalled Win 11 which was also 22H2 at the time. Unsure if Win 11 23H3 still has the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.