Desktop Agent Unavailable

Dear community,
I’ve installed Postman on Windows.
When I try to hit Send, I’m told the Desktop Agent is unavailable.
Moreover, when I open the windows toolbar tray I can see the Postman icon, which says it’s disconnected.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be most appreciated!

1 Like

Hi @BasfordJFenics

Welcome to the community :wave:

May I know if you have selected the “Desktop” agent from the Play icon on the footer of the app?

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 3.49.14 PM

Also, try refreshing the page once connected - if the issue persists.

5 Likes

Thank you @Kurmavatar !

This is what I see from the Play icon.
postman

When I open the tray on my Windows toolbar, it seems like Postman is installed but disconnected and listening on port 10533.

This seems related but I’m not sure how to go about getting Postman to connect.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

It seems to be the same thing experienced here on this conversation but there wasn’t a satisfactory solution to this: Postman Agent Disconnected

2 Likes

@BasfordJFenics Could you click on “Check for Updates” and restart the agent - see if that helps? Once done, refresh the page and that should help you get connected in a while.

Also, I suggest you try testing with different browsers if the issue persists.

Hi @Kurmavatar,

I followed your instructions but no change I’m afraid.

I installed the Desktop Again without System Admin privileges though… could that be an issue?

I’m having the exact same issue in Mac OS. I have checked for updates in postman agent, reinstalled it, tried it in Chrome and Microsoft Edge browser. All with no success.

Any help on solving this would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Having exactly the same issue on Chrome, developer logs show the following:

[5508][1600687798485][main][info][“Booting PostmanAgent 0.2.1, win32-10.0.17763 on x64”]
[5508][1600687798492][main][warn][“Postman Agent~Main~populateInstallationId: Failed to get installationId from agentSettings but with no error”]
[19196][1600687812508][main][info][“Booting PostmanAgent 0.2.1, win32-10.0.17763 on x64”]
[19196][1600687812524][main][info][“InitHelpers~createDefaultWorkingDir - Default working dir creation already attempted”]
[19196][1600687812525][main][info][“UpdateHandler~init - Success”]
[19196][1600687813725][main][info][“WebsocketAgent~start - Listening on port”,10533]
[19196][1600687813744][main][info][“AutoLaunch: Enabled as the default behaviour.”]
[19196][1600687813746][main][info][“AutoLaunch: Enabled”]
[19196][1600687813805][main][info][“AutoLaunch: isAutoLaunchDefaultBehaviourSet is set and persisted.”]
[19196][1600687813858][main][warn][“Error while checking for update”,{“error”:{“message”:“request to https://dl-agent.pstmn.io/update/status?channel=stable&currentVersion=0.2.1&arch=64&platform=win64 failed, reason: read ECONNRESET”,“type”:“system”,“errno”:“ECONNRESET”,“code”:“ECONNRESET”},“status”:1}]
[19196][1600687813859][main][warn][“Error while checking for update”,{“error”:{“message”:“request to https://dl-agent.pstmn.io/update/status?channel=stable&currentVersion=0.2.1&arch=64&platform=win64 failed, reason: read ECONNRESET”,“type”:“system”,“errno”:“ECONNRESET”,“code”:“ECONNRESET”},“status”:1}]
[19196][1600688438823][main][info][“Quitting app”]

1 Like

@BasfordJFenics @randobo Sorry to hear that the issue persists. One thing to note, as of now - Postman Agent doesn’t work behind Proxy and in Safari.

Apart from that if you are still unable to connect to Postman Web, please provide any information that could help the team look further into this in the below GitHub threads. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be great if your app could give some messaging like “Postman agent doesn’t work with Safari!” that would be a huge timesaver as this page took some effort to find - generic terms like “Postman” and “Agent” and all…

3 Likes

I’m really surprised to find postman (it’s been 1 year since I last used it), which no longer works, the solution is in agony with a pseudo web page serving as an interface with a local server for the use while avoiding cors, what did you do with the first desktop version which worked so well and which made your prestige, give it back to us. I just spent 2 hours before seeing these messages and understand that your solution is obsolete and does not work … I am very deeply disappointed with the regression of the postman solution and I hope you will come back to your steps or make corrections in as quickly as possible in order to make your services functional again

1 Like

What I did to fix this was go into the settings on the website and change the default proxy settings to use the desktop agent proxy and then everything started to work. Hope this helps someone, I was going nuts.

FYI, the desktop agent wouldn’t work at all with the Brave browser, but works just fine with Chrome

4 Likes

The desktop agent works on Brave if shields are disabled.

8 Likes

Thank you! Why do we need to disable the shields in Brave? Do postman use trackers?

This is what Brave blocks when shields are on, as you can see it blocks “localhost” calls which are used to communicate with the agent:

3 Likes

Web version of Postman not working at all. “Send” button is disabled, saying “Desktop Agent unavailable - Make sure the Desktop Agent is installed and check your toolbar to see if it’s running.”. Yes the agent is running and saying “Disconnected”. Totally unusable.

No, updating the agent didn’t help. I’m using latest Firefox.

Hey @science-cosmonaut-21

We are currently have an ongoing issue with Postman Agent - More details and updates can be found here:

https://status.postman.com/

Hi @science-cosmonaut-21,

Just following up here. Our status page has been updated to indicate that this incident should now be resolved. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

1 Like

Thanks dude, solved it for me :grinning:

For my case (MacOS) I could fix this issue by:

• removing the install for Desktop agent
  • restarting my PC
  • enabling “Privileges” (“Admin rights”)
  • install the Desktop Agent again. Pay attention to some pop-ups asking for access rights.
1 Like