250 collection runs per month on Professional?

@arlemi Hello! I am not quite sure, that you aware of teams workflows. As a user of paid version, (not enterprise though), i am using 25+ runs per day, and basically, then i am out of runs. What is the best solution, if i am running them manually?

Iā€™m in the same boat, I was the biggest postman advocate at my company.

Now I have an entirely code first solution using Jest and donā€™t have to worry about any more rug pulls or existing features being gated.

Going from what would prob be 15-20 paying professional users to 0 by EOY.

Good job guys. :clap:

4 Likes

I started using newman too but ran into an issue with that. I am using collection variables and they are not being passed on from one collection to another. my requirement is that I have to run some pre-tests in multiple environments, collect those variables and run another collection using these pre-set variables from other runs. I am not able to do that in newman. Any suggestions regarding this?

Hi @heamshrij

Say I have request 1 that, in the test tab, picks a nationality randomly from an arrayā€¦ I then ā€˜setā€™ the value to an environment variable.

And I want to use this value as a param in request 2. I could do that by calling the environment variable in the second collection.

However, you would also need to use the ā€˜ā€“export-environment [path]ā€™ option, as without this the ā€˜initial valueā€™ would remain static. (current value is not shared with postman servers so it would never be able to use that valueā€¦ to update the initial value you would have to export the environment).

When you run the Newman option to export, the value would be updated each time, see the image below:

1 Like

Let me add to the chorus of people that are complaining about the limit of 250 collection runs for a PROFESSIONAL VERSION of Postman. I think that this limit is ridiculously low. I will also start looking at other alternatives unless this is addressed.

Like others have stressed above.

• I also have tried to champion the use of Postman. I love Postman.
  • I understand that there should be strict limits on free and basic plans.
  • I am just dumbfounded that such a low limit could be set for users paying for a premium version of your product.

I am so disappointed.

7 Likes

I ran into this issue today, I believe it was because my company license renewal happened last week. I am very disappointed by this change and my company pays for more than 200 users. I am already in discussion with my management on this and thinking ways to move away from Postman as we see this as rug pull when API automation suite was built with postman/newman.

3 Likes

We are seriously reconsidering to stop working with postman. It does not make sense for us to have a limit of 250 runners for the whole team. The bigger the team and the more we pay the less runners each person plays. Postman should reconsider this way of working.

6 Likes

Just want to add my comment here as well.

Both 25 and 250 is way too low of a limit. Isnā€™t this ostensibly a quality of life feature e.g you can either run several requests manually or you can put them in a collection and run them with 1 click of a button?

250 Per team member for the basic version would be like MAYBE a starting point, but putting a limit to running requests locally using your local version of postman doesnā€™t make sense to me at all.

Basically if your team is of any size at all this limit is basically saying ā€œDonā€™t use this featureā€ because as soon as it becomes a part of anyones flow (say of manually testing a specific feature during development), you will quickly blow past 25 or even 250 requests as an individual in a month, nevermind for an entire team.

The pricing is also ridiculous, for how we use postman right now Basic fills most of our needs outside of this, but if we were to upgrade to Pro at our team size to go from 25 to 250 requests it would cost something like $4 per collection run.

Have never had any issues with Postman before but this is quite seriously making me want to look elsewhere.

4 Likes

If anyone needs help with running their collections with newman locally (including writing to a file etc features) or in a docker container, I can help. However, I started migrating my tests to my pytest framework, I suggest you work on such plans as well.

About 3 years ago, I convinced my org to subscribe to the team collaboration plan on Postman, facilitating easy sharing of workspaces and collections across teams, among other benefits. Since then postman has been billing us for 10-12 users annually. And as recently as a month ago a different group within my org joined the team and it increased to 20 members.

We primarily use Postman GUI to build basic API tests and quick data driven tests. We execute them within a Docker container using Newman on our own cloud resources. As a result, the limitations on local collection runs did not significantly affect our existing CI/CD automated testing workflows. It impacts the speed with which we can develop and test them. However, I understand that this may be temporary, considering the direction you intend to take your product.

A single update to the Newman CLI image that we pull from Docker Hub could potentially disrupt our workflows. Therefore, I have decided to halt further development of API tests on Postman. Instead, I will focus on migrating all our existing API tests to our pytest framework and explore other solutions for day-to-day API testing and collaboration.

I removed postman from the budget request for 2024. We will stop paying for my teams users after 2023 subscription expires.

7 Likes

Just want to add to the sentiment, this is terrible and limiting change. I was willing to upgrade to a basic plan as I would be buying it for myself not through work. Even this would not provide me with addition collections runs? That is insane! Iā€™d have to spend Ā£30 just get additional runs and even then its limited, its not feasible. It completely undermines all the hard work that has gone into postman leads me looking for an alternative and not willing to recommend itā€™s use

4 Likes

im just getting started bringing my company on board with postman for api testing and this change has me rethinking. our scheduled runs run in newman but during development of tests the manual collection run is the only way to do it.

even if i could figure out a (less efficient) workflow to test things via newman, why should i? manual LOCAL collection runs shouldnt have any limit at all because it isnt using postman servers! this behavior by the postman team is extremely anti consumer and completely unacceptable. 25 collection runs is insulting. like actually i feel insulted.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if anyone using an alternative tool has seen this yet, but Thunderclient is restricting its own local collection runs toā€¦ you guessed it, 30 per user per month.

That change is coming on September 15th, so you really donā€™t get much for free nowadays.

1 Like

Limiting LOCAL runs is non-sense. 250 runs limit is even bigger non-sense. One does many runs when developing tests. IDEs also donā€™t limit run/debug actions.

I am fine paying the Professional plan. I am not fine paying the Enterprise plan for the whole team. Total robbery.

We will use workarounds, NOT PAY and migrate to another tool when something sensible appears.

Came here, just to say one thing: Postman was on my ā€œletā€™s start to find something elseā€ list as soon as features that were open, free, and available without login started to disappear, I think it started ~2 years ago.
**Now, on a new project, I found out you are limiting LOCAL number of collection run. I mean WTF. ** I develop a collection to test fill a database with data, and now I find out that I used all my 30 ā€œfreeā€ collection runs like in 2 hours. I mean WTF, this is not cloud. To upgrade I get 250. Wow, just wow. Like someone mentioned, it does not matter if it is 25, 250 or 2500, its basically 0.
The whole ecosystem is now way too unpredictable and risky because of such changes. Whichever bright minded mind, came with this get-rich-quick scheme, thank them. I am done.

So now that the new pricing and packages is out for postman it is pretty obvious, my company will definitely move away from the tool.
Now the enterprise plan does not even include the unlimited collection runs, just the extra package for +49$ so that is 49+49 / user /month.
I donā€™t know what the sales team was thinkingā€¦from my experience 90% of postman users would be satisifed with just the basic plan+ unlimited colection runs, there are very few I know who are using the extra features of the enterprise package. But since the ulimited collection runs add on is only available for the enterprise package, you are forced to go there if you want to stay with postman.
Imho this is totally ridiculous.
We decided to abandon ppostman as soon as our licence expires.
A good looking alternative I found is apidog which has good migration support, much friendlier pricing and unlimited runs even for itā€™s free tier.

Itā€™s pretty sad to see how the greed of investors destroys a good tool. We really liked to work with postman, but itā€™s time to move on.
Goodbye!

Hahaā€¦, what did I say? Sure enough, they deleted the old version from the download

Hi @arlem, my previous understanding was that the 250 run limit was for an entire team. So if there were 20 members in a team all with a license they had to share 250 runs a month. But looking at the pricing page now i see that it has the Professional at $29 a month, per user/month and list 250 Collection Runs.

Can you confirm if it is now 250 Collection Runs per user/month or is per team/month? Iā€™m wanting to clarify because my company is evaluating current license and future renewals.

1 Like

iā€™m close to reaching the manual collection run during the first week
250 is really a joke, the collections are ran locally on my computer, why would you limit my local runs?

1 Like

Itā€™s ridiculous that a paying customer, even on the Basic plan (with many users), would get 25 collection runs across the organization ā€¦ the SAME limit as on the free plan. I was just learning how to do the scripting when in debugging and fixing my mistakes, I ran out of collection runs in 15 minutes. So I canā€™t even learn how to use the tool, much less actually run collections. Free should be 25, Basic 250 PER PAID USER (but not allocated per user), Professional 2500 PER USER, and Enterprise Unlimited per user. Weā€™re hitting local resources here with these Collections. Time to downgrade from Basic to Free I guess. After all, you CHARGE per user, so why wouldnā€™t the limits by per use also? Good work. Time to switch tools. Worst business decision ever.

Yep. Quite outrageous, if you ask me.

Anyway, time to consider PHPStorm, which has a built-in HTTP client. Iā€™m switching my company to this ASAP.

These features have parity with Postman:

• Define requests in simple files, committed to VCS.
  • Define environments in JSON files, also committed to VCS. Special files possible for sensitive variables.
  • Set other environment vars, which persist for a PHPStorm session.
  • Use variables in requests definitions, for URL, headers, and body etc.
  • Use JavaScript to define custom pre-request and post-request scripts.
  • Write tests in JS as well. These integrate with PHPStormā€™s UI.
  • One .http file can contain multiple requests, so thatā€™s a collection.
  • Automatically port collections from Postman!
  • Convert OpenAPI spec to collection.
  • Visualize some types of responses, such as image, PDF, HTML.
  • Run requests on CI :muscle:

:heartbeat:More stuff:

• Everything you need to save is in files, committed to the VCS. No need for any custom integration on higher-tier plans: itā€™s built in.
  • A good cloud VCS host has already got access/permission controls, and modification processes (like PRs) in place. No need for any higher-tier plans: itā€™s built in.
  • Run it how much you want on your local machine. On your cloud, you are capped by the cloudā€™s resources.
  • Refactor > Rename endpoints in OpenAPI spec and the request files.
  • JS scripts can import any other JS in the project. No more funny hacks and adhoc re-implementations to re-use our and othersā€™ code here :star_struck: Waaaaat!
  • Obviously all this has proper syntax highlighting, IntelliSense, structure overview, like all the other JB products
  • Use whatever AI you want that has integration with JetBrains, which is all important ones. No longer limited to Postbot!
  • No monthly subscription!