Using postman-echo's delay for my own application

Hi there!

I’ve been working with postman for a while and love it - I’ve also been using some of the postman-echo’s delay to do some tests. I’ve been working on a project in Twilio Studio that requires us to wait for a while before moving on to something else - we can’t really do this easily or at scale without invoking an API that waits a couple of seconds before returning - I thought, why not use postman-echo! https://postman-echo.com/delay/3 is a great example.

Now I’m on the forum to see whether the postman-echo delay is appropriate for our own uses - we’d be working with the delay functionality on up to max around a hundred concurrent invocations, but likely to be much less on average, with us only using the system for part of the day.

Is this ok? I feel like the servers can handle it but I’m wondering on a couple of things:

• Are the servers up 24/7, and if so, is there any chance the API will not work at any point?
  • Does this violate any terms of using the API (using it in my own environment for work)

Currently, the alternatives would be to deploy and run my own service, however having yet another thing to maintain is not appetizing right now.

Let me know if there’s any more information you need!

Why connect your test infrastructure to a 3rd party service for which there is no guarantee.

Why not add a delay in your own script, with something like:

setTimeout(() => {}, 3000);

Hi vdesba :slight_smile:

As mentioned in my question I’m working with Twilio Studio, which does have its own way of invoking our own Javascript in the form of Twilio Functions. This is what I was using previously but the functions are capped at 30 concurrent executions. Having long-running functions increases the risk that we’ll have more than 30 functions running and get a 429 Too Many Requests error with the function not invoking (and therefore causing a problem with our flow.

HTTP requests, however, have no limit on concurrency and I can make as many as I like, which is why I’m looking for ways to use them to wait like this. Postman-echo’s delay API seems like a good choice for this, provided the criteria I posted in the question are met.

It would be nice to be able to rely on the postman-echo API instead of having to make my own service which has the same functionality, but I don’t want to use postman without asking here in case there’s a reason not to, hence my question. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Ash