How to use the desktop APP to quickly run a (sub)folder?

My question:
I have a collection with folder and sub folder, I wish to run a given (sub)folder easily from the desktop Postman application.

For eg, I have folders

• “clean & setup” which clean postman var and create all the resources necessary to execute the other folders.
  • “login” which create required token necessary to execute the other folders.

Details (like screenshots):
I have postman v9.13

How I found the problem:

• Unlike collection, folder 3 dots menu don’t have a “run collection” entry.
  • “Run collection”, “run order” screen does not have a way to select/deselect a given folder
  • “Run collection”, “run order” does not display the folder name without moving the mouse over the request.
  • “Run collection”, “run order” does not have keyboard shortcut which could allow me to quickly select a range of request.

How can we run a folder quickly ?

I wish to have:
A way to run quickly one or more folder.

suggestion :

• In the folder menu, a menu entry “run all request from this folder now” which just run the request in order without any prompt.
  • in the runner “run order” screen, a way to select the requests by folder.

I’ve already tried:
I know about postman command line run folder feature, but I’m looking for an “in app” / UI solution.

Hi @christophe.guilmart

Not sure if I have misunderstood your question but if I choose “Run Collection” I can select folder and subfolders;

I’m using Postman version 9.13.2

Hope that helps…

Thanks for your answer.

Is that the collection panel ?

When I click on a folder in the collection panel, the “folder” tab open and the “runner” tab go behind. It does not change the runner request selection.

I also have Version 9.13.2, maybe I missed an option or something…

That’s the “Collection Runner”.

Click … on the collection name > select “run collection” > tick or untick the calls you want to include.

To clarify, you don’t click on the folder you want to run, you click the parent collection.

Hi again,

thanks a lot for the screen recording, it really help understand each other.
I see that I did not managed to express my problem clearly enough.

if you have 10 request in a given (sub)folder, you need to click 10x to select them. I wish to click only once and select all the requests from the folder.

Ahhh yeh, I just tried it, see what you mean. I’m not aware of a way of selecting a folder in that way.

The only thing I could suggest as a workaround is to create a new collection and drag the folder into it, so that the collection runner only picks up that folder. For example;

gif2

I think folder selection within the collection runner would be a prime candidate for a feature request.
You could submit it here

1 Like

@w4dd325 Thanks for your guidance !

I opened a feature request here:

alternative if the folder(s) you want to run are at the beginning of the collection:

add this in the test of the last request you want to run
postman.setNextRequest(null); // stop collection runner

1 Like

For reference, @dannydainton has added two excellent examples for this in the feature request comments.