How do I find out who did a Fork of my Collection

Hi - probably a beginner question but I can’t seem to find the answer via search here or Google:

How do I find out who did a Fork of my Collection?

Thanks

Hi, I may tell you one way of letting know who forked the collection. For demonstrating this I used postman tool. Click on the ellipse button on the collection name, then click on ‘view change log’. Now the entire change log will be displayed for that particular collection on the right pane. Along with Change log we do have few other menus as well. Now you can click on “Fork”, there you can see the fork details of that particular collection, like ‘Fork label’, ‘Created by’ and ‘Created On’ in a tabular column.

If your collection doesn’t having forks, then you will get " No forks created yet" message

I hope this will help out

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-11-17 090752

Hi there! Is there a way to view a list of your collections with the fork data? Someone shared a UI from Postman with me of all of our collections and the associated fork number for each collection. How do I access that UI?

Hey @hseligson1 :wave:

Welcome to the Postman Community! :postman:

If you open a Collection in a tab, you will see a list of options (Share/Fork/Watch) on the right.

This will contain the number of forks next to the Fork option, selecting that will open the right sidebar and show which users have forked the Collection.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much! I appreciate the quick response! I have two more follow up questions…

1. Is there any way to view the collections in a list format with their associated forks without navigating to each collection?
  2. Is there a way to export this data so I could easily share this information with my team?

Thank you in advance!

I don’t believe the export of the fork data is something that can be done through the UI - What’s the use case for doing that? Is it part of an internal audit process?

I also don’t think that you can list out the fork information like that in the UI, going to each Collection is going to the only way at the moment. I thought that the information would be in the response from the Postman API but I don’t believe that it is.

The use case is that we have several collections specific to our public services - in one of our workspaces we have 34 and in the other we have 49. So, I was looking for an easier way to reference the forks per collection instead of stepping through each of the collections.
This way myself and my team could easily identify our most commonly forked APIs.

Hey @hseligson1

I’ve spoken to the Postman API team, to explore the potential of exposing that information in a new endpoint. We have raised an internal ticket for this.

That would then given you the ability to get that data per Collection and then hopefully display it in a format that works for that process. :pray:

Awesome!! That’s a great solution - I’m looking forward to hopefully testing this out. Thanks, Danny!

1 Like