Looking for feedback on building a cloud agnostic Firebase/AWS Amplify competitor.
I want to keep it simple by abstracting out deployments, and data store technologies. Essentially it would just be a REST API contract with different quotas, and resilience SLA’s. Given a hard API contract I could just build the contract multiple times to target different clouds and datastore backends. Want to run on AWS with 10GB of data: no problem. Want to run on GCP with 800GB of data: sure (…if you say so)!
This will target development and beta environments for startups as well as a simple backend solution for side projects, small businesses, or apps.
- No need to become and expert in specific clouds, or datastore functionality.
- Allows you to decouple your projects from specific cloud providers/technologies.
- Simplified setup for side projects/POC’s because you are just making REST API calls. No need to setup 3rd party SDK’s.
- When you out grow my service then just build your own backend! It’s not meant to be one-size-fits-all.
- Pick you datastore reliability (dev=free, beta=$7/m, stable=$20/m, dedicated=$100/m)
- Pick your data size (2gb, 10gb, 20gb, 50gb, …)
- Pick your target cloud (AWS, GCP, Heroku, Azure, Digital Ocean, …)
- Setup auth (API Key, Social OAuth, basic, …)
- Start making REST API calls using YOUR favorite libraries and industry standard patterns.
You tell me.
- Never… tell me why you wouldn’t use this, e.g. Firebase free tier.
- I want to get feedback on use cases and the ideal API contract, e.g. pagination and GraphQL support.
- I am looking for beta testers. Yes it will be free during beta! Yes, I will provide generous testing limits (within reason)!
Want to know more?
Reply or send me a direct message.
I am a dev/designer/api dude(-tte), can I help?
Yes… but later. Ping me and I will keep you in the loop.