Prompt values before request

First of all: Hi! :slight_smile:

It looks like I cannot find the right search terms, because my searches have been unsuccessful so far.

Is there a way to display something like a form before sending a request to define values for local variables that are necessary for this request?

I tried the JavaScript function prompt(), but it was not recognized by Postman. Alternatively, I would set the variables in the pre-request script and let the users adjust them there, but this causes the request to change and the user will get a prompt to save it.

Hopefully I could describe my need in a more or less understandable way. Any hints for a solution are welcome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also wondering about this. Does it exist?

Hiya,

There’s no way to prompt for values at runtime. The closest thing to a quick pop-up is to open the Environment by hitting the eyeball in the top right and making adjustments prior to sending a request or running a collection.

Best,

Kevin

Is prompt feature avaialble in postman now?

It’s now been 10 years since this feature was requested on GitHub. We should be celebrating its anniversary. It’s also the 4th most requested feature on GitHub, and the question posted here, despite being much newer and a duplicate, has amassed 13.5K views.

Literally any API I can think of has a variable that changes between requests:

• /users/:id
  • /users?country=:country

Instead, I have to edit my requests all the time, and when try to close them, I get prompted to save my “changes” - so you do know how to build a basic prompt!

For the life of me, I can’t understand why the Postman team is dragging their feet on this basic, basic feature while wasting valuable engineering time adding useless AI bots to the app that literally nobody asked for.

3 Likes

I’m not sure but using this info… Adding External Libraries in Postman | Postman Blog
perhaps can someone find an external library that have the “prompt” functionality… (Up to know… i didn`t find it.)… I have try several, but are requesting for “prompt” function itself…