Is there a way to run a collection automatically at a certain time?

My question: So here’s my question (and please bear with me, I’m no computer programmer or any of that). I am looking for a way to have a collection run automatically at certain time of day. We are using Postman to update some pricing information in our sales software (separate program from Postman). Because this affects things in real time, the company that owns/runs our sales software has the collection setup so that it can only run between 8pm and 5am. This way it doesn’t effect business operations. Currently I have to remote into my computer from home, make sure the correct CSV file is loaded onto Postman, and click send on the part of the collection process that I want to run. I am helping test the process for the software company so while I don’t mind logging in from home, I’m not sure how many people will want to do so when this gets launched globally. Is there a way I can schedule it? I have been scouring the internet and the help topics here, but cannot seem to locate an answer. Maybe I’m not searching the right terminology or something. I don’t know. I have played around with the Monitor feature, but that doesn’t seem to work. I’ve been in regular contact with the software company that runs our sales program and who set up the JSON file and all that for this process , but it seems they are not familiar with a way to automate it either. Maybe it’s something I can’t do, but I would like to know one way or the other. Again, not a computer programmer or anything like, but with the right details, I can navigate my way through, so I would appreciate any help! Thanks!!

Hi @tolpasauto,

If Monitor option doesn’t work try the below one

• you can use batch execution by exporting your collections and storing in some location, use the batch file to execute your collections using Newman

Hi @tolpasauto.

What you described looks like something the Monitor option should be able to do effectively. Can you please share what issues you had with using the Monitor option and how it does not fit your use case?

Like @sseenivasan89 suggested, the other options you have asides from using the Monitor option will require writing some code to automate the process. I understand that the latter option might not work well for you. So I’m curious to see if we could still get the Monitor option to fit your use case.

Below is the error I am getting with using the monitor feature.

From talking with the sales program company, they said it would appear that Postman Monitor needs a URL to run, so a CSV file on my computer would not work. I uploaded the CSV files into my Google Drive and used the link from there to try the upload but this is the errors I keep getting.

They have set aside the required hour issue until December 6th so I can test this in real time. I have it so that it works flawlessly when I run it through the collection manually, but not through the Monitor. When I run it through the collection, I use a CSV file off my computer. It’s my understanding that I need it to be a CSV file but then the Monitor requires a URL. It seems like this should work from everything I’ve been able to research. I feel like there is just a step or something that I am just missing and don’t realize it/know what it might be.

Again, I’m not a computer programmer or anything, I’m actually in our Accounting department, but would like to see this work as I think it should. For those others in our industry that work off the same program as we do, what they’re trying to do will save a ton of time, but I just don’t think they’re going to find too many people that are willing to remote into their computer system and run it manually through the collection after work hours. The way it has been set up (not sure if it comes through from the JSON file or where in the background), but we can only run it between 8pm and 5am as they are worried about the lag/weight on the system/servers and want to avoid a slow down. They did put aside that time requirement for me to test with (and I didn’t notice any slow down nor did anyone in my organization all on the same program). But I only have until December 6th until they flip it back to the 8pm.

Thanks for all your help! I don’t mean to repeat myself, but trying to make sure I have as many details for you as possible :slight_smile:

Thanks again!!

From what I’ve been able to research and try to understand, I think it comes down to the http address that is kicking the error. My guess is that is local or behind our firewall and not a public URL and therefore will not work with the monitor setup. The files I have it running in conjunction with this are CSV files hosted in both my Google Drive and my Dropbox so I was able to provide public URLs for those I believe. And it always seems to come back to that particular error mentioning the pinpro. I was so hoping this would be the way to be able to run the collection automatically, but alas I do not think the Monitor feature is going to work for us. The collection works beautifully when ran manually within the time frame setup. I have voiced my concern with the programmers that set this up for us that I do not believe, that while a largely effective module, that too many people will be willing to log on later in the evening or in the very early morning hours to remote in and manually run the program. I do appreciate everyone’s help with this! I am going to keep leaning on our programmers to see what I can do there, but at this time I’m kinda stuck.

Sorry to see you are still struggling with this issue. Having an automated way to do this would definitely make things a lot simpler for you. Monitors seem like a solid way to go.

Without knowing too much about what’s going on with the project, I would suggest trying to double check if the address is correct. I see the URL is http://pinpro:8080 Should this have a .com or similar?
Are you able to ping pinpro from your terminal/command prompt? If that resolves, I would suggest checking if that port is open and something is listening on it that you can reach from your local machine.