GET request works in browser, but I get Unauthorized when using Postman

Hello Everyone,

I am new to postman and Community. I do not have working solution to share the difference here
I have searched similar topics but nothing return the same.

So, I am getting 401 unauthorized in Postman but Get request works fine in the browser. Tried to google for similar issue but nothing is out there for me.

Here is the screenshot of Ciphers that I have enable

Here is the screenshot of TLS settings

Does not work in Postman

System Info: WIN STD Server 2016 | Making calls to SharePoint 2016 | Browser used: Edge Beta

Thanks,
P

Hi @praful_patel,

Welcome to the community! :wave:

All the information is very helpful upfront for gettings started with your issue, and is much appreciated.

However, I do not believe the issue you are seeing is related to the TLS ciphers. Rather, I feel it may have to do with cookies. Have you logged in on browser before? You may have a cookie there that establishes you a authenticated connection/session with the server.

Postman would likely not have that cookie if you have never established and authenticated connection/session with the server.

What is the 401 Error response body that you receive? That may also shed some more light on whats going on.

Additionally, how are you trying to authenticate with the server in Postman?

Regards,
Orest

@odanylewycz

Thanks for prompt reply. Please accept my apology to reply late.

I am authenticating inherit from parent.

Body just says 401 unauthorized.

Edit: Pic was duplicate

Would Wireshark Capture help in anyway? I am not able to run fiddler and postman together.

You’re welcome @praful_patel

No apologies necessary. Thanks for the extra detail. I am not sure what authenticating inherit from parent means. Do you mean you are using authorization defined at the collection level?

Could you elaborate more on the type of authentication the server is expecting? If it’s a username/password combination in an HTML form, you would have to basically replicate that in your request. More information on what the server is expecting will help.

Wireshark could possibly help in the future, although I do not feel we are there yet since we do not know enough about the server and what its expecting from the client.

Regards,
Orest

@odanylewycz,

I believe you are asking for SharePoint Web Application Authentication then it is Claims based Authentication NTLM
Claims

Let me know if I still have not understood your request.

Thanks,
P

Hi @praful_patel,

Yup that’s what I’m asking for!

So given what I see there, Postman doesn’t support Windows Authentication (NTLM) to web services, and therefore you will get an 401 in postman.

I do see there is Basic Authentication available, and postman does support that. You can change it to Basic Auth in sharepoint and send the base64 encoded username:password in the Authorization header and resolve your 401 error.

Hope this works!
Orest

@odanylewycz ,

So unfortunately, I can not change the Authentication on SharePoint end as this practice is touching various other things.
is there something I can do on Postman(client) end to satisfy the requirement?
Also, has it been discussed before to integrate NTLM to web services through Postman? Might be a future request?

Anyways Thank you for your patience and replying promptly. I will continue to explore this awesome tool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @praful_patel,

So actually, NTLM Authentication is supported now in Postman! Except in Beta.

I dont have any services that I can try just now with NTLM, but I will try to see how to get it working if I can test it out some way.

As for now, refer to the screenshot to see the NTLM Authentication in Postman. Be sure you are on the latest version to see this as an option.

Hope this works!
Orest

EDIT:

I was able to test it out with a Windows Domain account, and for me, just using the username and password, I was able to get it working :grinning:.

@odanylewycz

YAY!! yup same here, it worked for me too.

Thanks,
P

1 Like