Connecting a database to Postman

Hello All,
How can i connect SQL developer to Postman?
Please help me!

Hey @nesrinej

You can’t directly connect Postman to a database, useless it has a set of HTTP endpoints that you can use to see/edit the data in the tables.

Hello @danny-dainton
Thanks for the response,
Could you please tell me how can i edit my database from Postman ?
Best regards,
Nesrine

Does your database have an API that you can interact with?

For SQL developer I found this link

Not sure you have referred this already :slight_smile: Got this from this similar topic.

So here based on the documentation you need to create your requests in Postman. Which in turn will help you for read/write into your Database. Also you can check if there’s some existing collection of requests for Oracle database.

1 Like

There are collections for SQL DB connection in Postman.

Can you provide a bit more context on why you need a RESTful API service to connect to a Database? It’s not exactly the right tool for the job.

Hi @danny-dainton
I would like to return the work that I’ve already done using SOAPUI with Postman.
With SOAPUI, I can make JDBC requests. but I don’t know how to do that with Postman.
Could you help me please !

I would like to return the work that I’ve already done using SOAPUI with Postman.
With SOAPUI, I can make JDBC requests. but I don’t know how to do that with Postman.
Could you help me please !

I don’t know anything about SOAPUI, they are 2 different applications with 2 different feature sets.

It looks like SOAPUI connects directly to a DB, Postman doesn’t do that.

https://support.smartbear.com/readyapi/docs/functional/steps/jdbc-request.html

If the DB has an API that you can interact with then you could send requests to it and add/read/remove data from the tables but if it hasn’t, you won’t be able to.

Postman isn’t a database testing tool so anything to get it to interact with a database would just be a workaround.

thanks for your replay @danny-dainton .
I use SQL Developer , but my REST Services menu not show up in SQL Developer :frowning_face:

Some links that might help you:

https://drill.apache.org/docs/use-postman-to-run-sql-queries-on-drill-data-sources/

has anyone tried this solution ?

Hi
i have tried connecting the postman to PostgreSQL database

We tried a few solutions to connect Postman and a database, but they were clunky. We wrote a small solution for this that can hit an API, validate the response, then validate against a database (postgreSQL or mySQL). Light-weight and easy to use. Open source, hopefully this is helpful to everyone.
Check it out here: https://github.com/getjoystick/witcher

PostgreSQL and mySQL have API access, so it shouldn’t really be that difficult to implement.

Another method is to use Microsoft Flow or Logic Apps which allows you to utilise the connectors they have and surface it with a REST API. This removes a lot of the complexity in relation to authentication. For most of the databases that have connectors, they usually have their own API’s though.

I recommend discussing this with your development team. Get them to store the queries that you want in the database (which should ideally match with the queries that the front end uses).

Call those queries through the API.

This way you can mimic the flow that the front end app uses, using the same calls and queries.