The Globalization team is seeking a talented Program Manager II in tech to help our team to identify and resolve localization issues end to end by improving the source, reducing manual steps, and improving turn-around time using AI and machine learning. You have solid technical skills and work in close collaboration with the internationalization engineering, UX, AI, and machine learning teams across Uber to find innovative and scalable solutions for localization issues. In this role, you will also act as a liaison between the localization operations team, the internal localization team, various Uber engineering teams, cross functional partners, and vendors to ensure localization tools and processes properly capture all requirements for functionality, efficiency, and scalability. Relationship management and a collaborative attitude are a must.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to our localization tools vision and roadmap to improve functionality, scalability, and efficiency by positively impacting our localization tools-related internal and cross-functional initiatives
- Actively utilize your domain expertise for machine learning, Natural language processing, and machine translation working directly to solve localization issues.
- Develop & maintain key relationships with Engineering teams working on machine learning and AI in addition to the Internationalization engineering team.
- Work closely with localization vendors and ensure compliance with Uber’s technical requirements
- Gather requirements from LPgMs (Localization Program Managers) and LQPgMs (Localization Quality Program Managers) on localization tools and process needs and work with internationalization engineering and product teams to enable support
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners, such as Marketing and Help Content teams, and guide them on how to best integrate their CMSs into the Localization pipeline and/or improve existing integrations
- Review and influence product requirement documents (PRDs/RFCs) related to Tools and Systems that can improve globalization (g11n) across Uber
- Use existing scripts (or build new scripts) that interact with our TMS via API calls to maintain project configuration settings, and support team members querying our CMS.
- Manage projects, work toward deadlines, and establish product/process roadmap milestones and reviews
- Work closely with PMs/Engineers on product roll-outs, tool improvements/automation, and tech planning
- Minimum 4 years of hands-on technical localization experience in the high-tech industry on the client-side
- Solid understanding of scripting languages and tools such as Python, Perl, Ruby, Postman, and SQL
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science with focus on Artificial Intelligence or equivalent practical experience
- Basic understanding of modern machine learning libraries, frameworks, techniques (e.g., Tensorflow, PyTorch, Deep Learning, Transfer Learning, Keras, NLP, feature engineering, automated hyperparameter tuning, and conventional machine learning techniques)
- Proven track record in streamlining complex processes and improving workflow efficiency
- Solid understanding of Localization Program and Language Management roles, as well as localization requirements of various content types such as UI, HC, Marketing, & Legal
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, work independently and be able to chart the direction of projects
- Strong analytical and problem-solving experience, coupled with excellent business judgment
- Great negotiation skills and ability to prioritize tasks in a dynamic environment
- Very detail-oriented, quality-focused, and proactive
- Self-directed - you need to take the initiative in tackling large problems
- Ability to manage technical programs at scale
- Be proficient in and manage technical processes (e.g. Share internationalization i18n best practices, advise Product/Engineers on best practices for l10n QA/testing, run and manage linguistic QA processes)
- Experience using CAT tools as an LPgM/LQPgM to run our localization pipeline & workflows (e.g. Memsource, Smartling, Idiom WorldServer, and Trados) is a plus
- You are fluent in languages other than English