[ GSOC proposal ] : Newman Request

I am Yashi Agarwal, undergraduate student from Jaypee Institute of Information and Technology. I want to apply for GSOC 2021 with Postman, and want to work on Newman Request.

Goal is:
Having a single request with newman work
Replacing curl with newman request
Adding request to Postman App’s history if user is logged in

I have mailed my proposal to gsoc@postman.com. Link to proposal draft:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n-V_Hvwn9rwgbNGdgzgfIWsxQQyh4QE0dI3Gnz-lHFs/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if the approach looks good to you @Sharath_Iyengar , @hannah.neil , @lukasz.gornicki. Also, you can please connect me with GSoC mentorfor this project, so that I can disscuss with them and get reviewed.

My email ID: yashiagarwal1812@gmail.com

1 Like

Thank you so much for writing in.

The document has been shared with the mentors and also notified.

Cheers,
good day

Thankyou, for looking into it.

Thanks for your valuable feedback! As per your suggestions in the comment, I have made some of the changes to the proposal.

• Will append the new request to the history, and will not change the old one.
  • Have removed security breach point
  • Have made connection-issue more clear
  • Have changed display part under (Other features to be implemented:)

@utkarsh.maheshwari ,the doc is ready for a second round of review. Please let me know if all the updates are complete or is there something more to be added or modified. :slight_smile:

Link to Proposal draft:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n-V_Hvwn9rwgbNGdgzgfIWsxQQyh4QE0dI3Gnz-lHFs/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

Sir, I had updated the Proposal as per your valuable feedback.
But by mistake I forgot to mark three of the points as resolved, have done it now.

@Sharath_Iyengar, @utkarsh.maheshwari , @hannah.neil , @lukasz.gornicki , the doc is ready for a second round of review. Please let me know if all the updates are complete or is there something more to be added or modified. :slight_smile:

Link to Proposal draft:

While working on newman I am facing an issue, if I create 2 collections where in First collection I am setting some of the global vars, and using them in second collection then How could I access those global variables which are set on running first collection into second collection?

Like using Postman App , it’s simple I just run first collection and then the second one, but throuh newman is there any way through which I can create global_var.json file on running first collcetion and then access that in second one?

@Sharath_Iyengar , @lukasz.gornicki , @utkarsh.maheshwari , @hannah.neil please let me know. I shall be very thankful to you.

I’ve notified the team internally to check and respond

@yashi12 Yes, you can use the --export-globals option to export them in a json file. In the second run, you can import these globals using the --globals option.

Ref: GitHub - postmanlabs/newman: Newman is a command-line collection runner for Postman

Thankyou, for looking into it.

Thankyou, for guiding me. I will use --export-globals and will go through the reference link.

While working on Newman Request, I am able to send a single request and present data through custom CLI for single request, but am facing issue with presenting request in Postman App’s sidebar if user is logged in.

Currently, the login functionality for Newman is merged with develop branch only, so I am not getting how can I use that feature so that I can implement further part of saving request to history, also the API for history is yet not released.

@Sharath_Iyengar, @utkarsh.maheshwari, @hannah.neil, @lukasz.gornicki, can you please guide me with it, so that I can proceed on the history feature too.

Hey @yashi12, we do have plans to add support in the backend API for showing newman requests in History. Since this is just an improvement in the project (the original project being support for sending a request using Newman), you can focus on just the first part for now. :slight_smile:

Ok, Thankyou! sir :slightly_smiling_face: