About the GSoC category

Hello to all the Open Source Enthusiasts! As part of the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) program, this is the place for all queries and updates. Pick up issues and contribute to your favourite repos of Postman from our github page

This is also an appropriate place to engage with mentors about your project ideas during selection phase of GSoC.

I am Raghav Bhatia, undergrad student from BITS Pialni. I want to apply for GSOC 2021 with Postman. I saw Idea list and one of the ideas is to create newman request .

Goal is Replacing curl with newman request in a curl command should run the send the request using Newman.

I have carried out a proof of concept to create newman request according to following expected output:

1. Users can send a single request with Newman and show the request/response using a reporter of their choice.
  2. Replacing curl with newman request in a curl command should run the send the request using Newman.

This is the link to my PR: (Newman Command for Single Request by raghavbhatia336 · Pull Request #2657 · postmanlabs/newman · GitHub)

Github Issue : #2548

While researching about the topic, I feel one of the best solutions would be to get all curl options from the command and and create a Postman collection through curl-to-postmanv2.

Here is how i plan to implement it:

1. Add a new command newman request
  2. Newman request will invoke a newman.request() function with curl options and newman run options. (To be done)
  3. It will pass curl to curl-to-postmanv2 convert function, and create a Postman collection with single item (To be moved to configLoaders )
  4. Use created postman collection and newman options to run the request using postman-runtime

Let me know if this approach looks good to you. @Sharath_Iyengar @hannah.neil can you please connect me with the GSoC mentor for this project since I am already long way through the POC and I have got a thumbs up from Shamasis Bhattacharya for the same. I would like to discuss my ideas with the GSoC mentor and get them reviewed.

My email ID: raghavbhatia05@gmail.com